[PHOTO] OT: Christmas Cactus and Poinsettia | Tue, 20 Nov 2001 21:07:47" />

[PHOTO] OT: Christmas Cactus and Poinsettia

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] OT: Christmas Cactus and Poinsettia
  • From: BigAlligator@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:03:05 EST

     The Year 2000 Citrus County [FL] Master Gardeners Calender states that
Christmas Cactus sets buds regardless of day length if night temperatures
fall under 50 F.  We have had a lot of nights under 50 F, with one briefly
dipping to freezing, and now the Christmas Cacti I have outside are loaded
with buds.  I have attached a picture of it from last year.  This is the
result of one of my recycling center plant rescues.
      The Poinsettias are also starting to get significant coloring to them.
Most of mine are red, but I also have two bright pink ones.  All are getting
nice color.  The color appears to be developing faster this year.  I am
wondering if night temperatures may influence Poinsettia too?
     Both Christmas Cactus and Poinsettia must be grown in pots here, because
on those colder nights that sneek in...

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida      [USDA Zone 8b]

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95