Re: IB: CHAMPAGNE ENCORE (new plants blooming)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: IB: CHAMPAGNE ENCORE (new plants blooming)
  • From: "lfandjg" laurief@paulbunyan.net
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 21:53:40 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., dferguson@c... wrote:
> Even here in central NM with my yard in USDA Zone 7b, long summers, and so
> on.  If I plant an Iris (spring, summer, fall - doesn't matter), it is
> usually going to be two or three years before I see it flower (I consider
> myself lucky if they flower the next spring).
> Maybe I don't feed them enough, or maybe it's because I like the healthier
> look of a plant growing in the rather "poor" mineral soils here as apposed
> to the soft, lush, floppy look of a plant growing in rich compost??????

I don't know, Dave.  I often don't get bloom for a couple years on new
transplants, either - assuming they even survive that long in my
climate.  What really gets my goat is when I share an iris that's been
sulking doing absolutely nothing in my garden for 3 yrs with a local
friend, and the doggone plant blooms the very next spring for the
friend and STILL doesn't bloom for me!  Grrrrr!