  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: IB: CHAMPAGNE ENCORE
  • From: Laurie Flynn amnemachin@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:40:24 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the info, Laurie!  And btw, I love your photos - been checking them out/drooling over them for a few years!  Great job growing as well as photographing.

-Laurie  :)

 laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net> wrote:

>I'm curious: how do you get these irises that you plant in the summer to
>bloom in the same season? I'm in the same approximate USDA zone as
>you, and in my limited experience, and from what I've read and heard from
>others around here, one plants irises in the summer, and if one is lucky
>(about 50/50), bloom will occur late the following spring. What great trick
>am I missing? :)

Hi Laurie (great name, btw ;-) ),

There is no trick, and the late bloom I sometimes enjoy on rebloomer
transplants has nothing at all to do with anything I am or am not doing
for them. If I get a late stalk like that, it is because the rebloom
stalk was already "set" in the original garden from which it was shipped
to me. If I receive reblooming irises from a warmer climate with
significantly earlier spring bloom than I have here, there's a decent
chance the rhizome will already be preparing for rebloom before it's dug
out of its original garden. When it arrives here and I plant it in my
garden, it just continues the rebloom stalk development it already
started in its original garden. In my very short-season climate, it's
quite common for new transplants that do manage to put up a late stalk in
their first season to never do so again once they are fully acclimated
(though the survivors will continue to bloom in the spring).

Sadly, some new transplants that try to send up late stalks here get
frozen out before the stalks can fully develop. I lost half a dozen or
so stalks to freezing weather this year, and it's unlikely those '02
transplants will be able to develop new increases quickly enough to
provide any bloom for me next spring. Oh well. You get a little, you
give a little.

USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern MN
clay soil