Re: Re: Center Stage

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Center Stage
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 15:57:39 EST

In a message dated 11/2/2003 10:19:59 AM Central Standard Time, MryL1@msn.com writes:

Am curious to know how you are organizing the planting order, starting with a large open area.

The area has been broken down into 3 sections, each 50 ftl long by the depth of the garden . . . which I think is about 70 ft but I've not measured it yet.  When you face downhill or toward the gardens, the irises on the left all rebloom somewhere. (with the exception of a couple of my seedlings that have rebloom backgrounds). My seedlings and prior intros are in this bed.

They are randomly planted with the most needy being planted first.  Most of the first two rows were rebloomers salvaged from the club rhizome sale back in July--CORN HARVEST, FEEDBACK, CLARENCE & BRIDGE IN TIME to mention a few.  They lived in the trunk of my car for months. Club member were glad for me to take them back when it was decided to eliminate them from the display garden.

I was careful not to plant anything next to each other that could be easily confused.  I also made a garden chart which has been transferred to my computer. Each variety is carefully marked with those expensive markers!  ;-)

With the big dig, I wrote down each names as I transferred them to a new box, placed the list on an Excel sheet and sorted in alphabetic order. I printed out the list and used it to organize them in the garden.  I didn't pull the rebloomers out of the group, but planted them in among the others.  A decision I'll probably regret next year.

If I'd had all my irises on the same speedsheet, I would have alphabitized all my purchased <other hybridizer> .  Good hindsight?

Still, some of the irises growing in my beds were good growers.  I have tons of things like SKATING PARTY, INNOCENT STAR, & STRICTLY BALLROOM, while others only have 1 to 4 rhizomes in the same alloted time!  At this point, I've grouped them accordingly.  Strong growers together & weak growers together. Somehow it just seemed right to plant them that way.  I won't go into all the details, but it's been a 'rough' move.

I can't stress mapping or charting too much.  Each night I bring it all in and put it on the computer & print out a copy for the notebook.  Hope that helps.

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here