[PHOTO] LA seedling | Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:55:46" />

[PHOTO] LA seedling

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] LA seedling
  • From: "Will Warner" wildbill@techie.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:55:38 -0600

Here's my first ever Louisiana iris seedling.  It bloomed this past spring 03.  This one confuses me,
as it looks nothing like any of the possible LA parents.  The most like it is i. brevicaulis, this
seedling has much better, and taller stalks.  I mixed pollen on this year of crosses.  I'd read about
hybridizers mixing pollens in hopes of inter-specific crosses.  Hopefully I'll spell these
right...pseudacorus, siberian, foetidisima, spuria, virginica, ensata, and louisiana were all mixed
together in a film canister, and pollen brushed on with a small paintbrush.  Whatever was
blooming that day and was appreciated for some reason, was mixed up.  This was one of my first
hybrizing ventures in an attempt to get something different.  This is the only LA seedling that
bloomed this year, have more, but they weren't as vigourous.  This one grew like a weed and
bloomed it's second year.  Only a couple flowers, but sure surprised me when the bloomstalk
popped out.  I'd read they take much longer to bloom.  It had 3 flowers, but I was more than
happy with that.  It grew from LA seed.  I'm not saying it's definately a species cross, just that it
could be.  I'd thought about sending an image to Iris City Gardens, since they have lot's of species
crosses, to see what they thought.  Never have though, figured I'd wait to see how it blooms next
year, it's alreay got 4+ increases, so i'm pretty excited.  The color is actually really close to what it
really looked.  the flower is mainly a clear blue, and the styles have more of a purple that is more
intense in the viens.  Any thought's on it.  I know this method might drive some people crazy, but
it's already been done.  I'll be labeling future crosses, I was more haphazard when I made this
cross.  As always I appreciate any info..thanks..Will