Re: LA seedling,Pollen Mixing

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] LA seedling,Pollen Mixing
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:48:42 -0800 (PST)

I want to encourage you and discourage you at the same time. Your seedling is pretty but as far as identifying it with all the different pollen you used it would be unlikely to get a good identification from a picture alone.

I would like to put my two cents in about pollen mixing. The old-timers did this to ensure that they got something. But today we are no longer interested in just getting something. As one who has suffered putting together a checklist I cringe whenever I hear about pollen mixing. Essentially you have not completed an experiment that tells you anything let alone the potential of any of the parents. Every seed in the pod could represent a different parent. Looking at a row of these seedlings while only give you some information about the pod parent. The really great hybridizers wanted to know more. A cross with one parent as pod parent and one used as pollen parent will give you different results than the reciprocal cross. Hybrids from the first generation will usually give even more interesting results when crossed to their siblings and back to their parents. This is an important step that should not be overlooked and first generation should not be discarded without giving another generation a try. If you havenít a clue as to the parents to begin with who would want the plant for further hybridizing? When hybridizing was in its infancy mixed pollen was a possibility to produce tons of plants, most of which were garbage. If you have the space to grow on thousands of seedlings than you might get lucky and produce something that is so unusual that people might want it despite the lack of parentage. But if you are limited on time, space, and money like most of us, species crosses offer an opportunity to produce something unique in a very short time. Most of the beardless species will cross with each other. I suggest looking at the SIGNA checklist to see what has been done and what hasnít. This is summarized in the appendix. There are enormous opportunities for producing some great plants but hopefully they will come from a less sloppy technique than mixed pollen.

I hope I have not discouraged your hybridizing by criticizing your methods. But we have enough unsolved mysteries that came spontaneously that we donít need to create them intentionally.

Will Warner <wildbill@techie.com> wrote:
Here's my first ever Louisiana iris seedling.  It bloomed this past spring 03.  This one confuses me,
as it looks nothing like any of the possible LA parents.  The most like it is i. brevicaulis, this
seedling has much better, and taller stalks.  I mixed pollen on this year of crosses.  I'd read about
hybridizers mixing pollens in hopes of inter-specific crosses.  Hopefully I'll spell these
right...pseudacorus, siberian, foetidisima, spuria, virginica, ensata, and louisiana were all mixed
together in a film canister, and pollen brushed on with a small paintbrush.  Whatever was
blooming that day and was appreciated for some reason, was mixed up.  This was one of my first
hybrizing ventures in an attempt to get something different.  This is the only LA seedling that
bloomed this year, have more, but they weren't as vigourous.  This one grew like a weed and
bloomed it's second year.  Only a couple flowers, but sure surprised me when the bloomstalk
popped out.  I'd read they take much longer to bloom.  It had 3 flowers, but I was more than
happy with that.  It grew from LA seed.  I'm not saying it's definately a species cross, just that it
could be.  I'd thought about sending an image to Iris City Gardens, since they have lot's of species
crosses, to see what they thought.  Never have though, figured I'd wait to see how it blooms next
year, it's alreay got 4+ increases, so i'm pretty excited.  The color is actually really close to what it
really looked.  the flower is mainly a clear blue, and the styles have more of a purple that is more
intense in the viens.  Any thought's on it.  I know this method might drive some people crazy, but
it's already been done.  I'll be labeling future crosses, I was more haphazard when I made this
cross.  As always I appreciate any info..thanks..Will