Re: REB: Dime Spot stalk

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] REB: Dime Spot stalk
  • From: Sterling Okase sterling_o@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:48:50 -0800 (PST)

Have you tried those old fashioned heavy iron frogs?
They are those prickly things that used to go in the
bottom vases and containers in flower arrangements. I
use them a lot when I shoot pics of irises and stalks.
They stay up pretty well. I have different sizes
ranging from just a couple inches in diameter to about
a foot in diameter. So far, they have held up TB
stalks just fine. But they are difficult to find. I
would try florist supply shops. I don't think there is
a specific rule when showing irises that you have to
use the pipes and vases provided but I could be wrong.
You might want to ask your iris club to see if they
would allow you to use them.

Personally, I don't think of branching that starts low
as a fault. I prefer as many branches as I can get. If
I am going to wait all year for my irises to bloom, I
want to see LOTS of flowers. In my opinion, I think
having to stake TB stalks a HUGE fault. I wish someone
would do something about that....

Sterling
Seattle, WA. USA
Zone 8

--- "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com> wrote:
> You know, Bill, it just could be that the vogue
> disfavoring irises with branches emanating from low
> down on the main stalk has to do not with their
> appearance in the garden, but with the difficulty of
> exhibiting them at shows.  ....If someone finds a
> way to do that, please tell me.  I'll bring a couple
> of those troublesome critters to the show.  --
> Griff

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511