Re: OT: washtubs (was: Dime Spot update)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] OT: washtubs (was: Dime Spot update)
  • From: Bill Wells wells@train.missouri.org
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:21:58 -0600

oneofcultivars@aol.com wrote:
> Course I could just dig Dime Spot and set a # 2 washtub on the kitchen
> table!

Hey, Bill,

How big is a #2 washtub? When I was a young boy growing up on a tobacco
farm in the hills of Kentucky with no running water in the house, the
whole family bathed on Saturday night in a washtub in the middle of the
kitchen floor. Water was carried from the well, heated on the kitchen
stove and poured in the tub. Order was youngest child first, each
progressing in turn according to age, finally Mom, then Dad. Each person
got a little extra hot water to re-warm it. Obviously, Dad got the most
water of all, but it wasn't very clear by then. ;-)

All that to say that I think that was a #3 washtub. Is my memory right?
Is a #3 big enough to bathe in? So a #2 is smaller?

Curious (perhaps senile) minds want to know...

Bill W.