Re: Confused: Orris Iris Germanica "Florentina" or ?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Confused: Orris Iris Germanica "Florentina" or ?
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:10:07 -0000

This looks like an older SDB. The plants around it look nice and
healthy and normal size. The size of flower and stalk ( length,
diameter, and branching), size of leaves (lenght & width) , amount of
increase at base of plants, and size and shape of flower all say SDB
to me, and colour sugests  a named cultivar rather then a species.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "A. Rivarola" <andinsky@h...> wrote:
> This beauty bloomed early in Spring and rebloomed in October. I
bought it at a local nursery in 2003 with the following full name in
its tag: "Orris Iris Germanica Florentina." That is when the problem
started; I cannot find it's real identity on the Web. Now, the other
problem is that the size of this plant is approximately no larger than
one foot. I am also sharing a second picture of it separately. I will
enjoy this Iris not matter what the name is, but if anybody can help
me out it would be great. Thanks. -- Andi, Valley Glen, CA z10B
> See the description I found:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/eclectic/kings/iris-flor.html
> Botanical Source and History.-Three species of iris furnish the
orris-root of commerce, the Iris germanica, or Blue flag; the Iris
pallida, or Pale flag, and the Iris florentina, or White flag. The
first is indigenous to south Europe, and found likewise in Morocco and
northern India, and is cultivated near Florence and Lucca, besides
being a common flower in London gardens. All three species have the
general characteristics of the order, but differ in the color of the

Yahoo! Groups Links