CULT: Rebloom and freeze

  • Subject: CULT: Rebloom and freeze
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 00:40:31 -0500

Freezing temperatures are forecast for tonight and in the 20s tomorrow night, so I have regretfully cut this bloomstalk and brought it inside, where it is beginning to open.  I would like to have seen it in the garden, but couldn't take the chance.  Maybe it will make a centerpiece for Thanksgiving dinner.  During the freezes of 9-10 days ago, the SDBs fared all right, and the IBs also, apparently, but the TBs were damaged despite their sock covers.  I notice beads of moisture within the membrane of the stalks which were up at the time of the freeze, and the buds are no longer firm.  I think the degree of a plant's surface exposed to freezing temperatures has something to do with its ability to withstand cold or not.  I also cut and brought in some first-time rebloomers whose buds aren't yet showing color.  When (if) they bloom, the flowers may not be fully representative of either the size or color had they bloomed in the garden,  The alternative, of course, is to let them be frozen and lost altogether.  Not a happy choice.
The cold weather this year has been unusually early.  My big oak in the front yard doesn't usually fully drop its leaves until January.  Today, I noticed that it is almost bare.  The entire neighborhood looks wintry.  Hopefully, rebloom of the SDBs will continue in the warmup after the freezes, but I think it's curtains for the many TB stalks that are up.  --  Griff

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Most Popular News