Re: CULT: Rebloom and freeze

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Rebloom and freeze
  • From: "loictasquier" <tasquierloic@cs.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:05:13 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@...>
wrote:

> Freezing temperatures are forecast for tonight and in the 20s
tomorrow night, so I have regretfully cut this bloomstalk and
brought it inside, where it is beginning to open. I would like to/

Reading this makes me realise how lucky we've been this month over
here in Europe with mild weather!

I keep having flowers opening everyday, even if the place looks more
like a rice field than anything else with the amount of rain we're
having; between showers we have wonderful sunshine!

It's another story for the sdlgs, they don't really thrive at the
moment, they just sink into the mud and rot i suppose, unless they
go so deep Barry Blyth might find them one day appear on the other
side!
The sdlgs that will survive might be fit for export to the tropics!

It should have been freezing hard for 3 weeks, it's a zone 6 here,
and it's as if we were a very wet zone 9!
That has given me the opportunity to send loads of pictures of
irises that shouldn't have bloomed.

Just how lucky we are!
LOIC

have seen it in the garden, but couldn't take the chance. Maybe it
will make a centerpiece for Thanksgiving dinner. During the freezes
of 9-10 days ago, the SDBs fared all right, and the IBs also,
apparently, but the TBs were damaged despite their sock covers. I
notice beads of moisture within the membrane of the stalks which
were up at the time of the freeze, and the buds are no longer firm.
I think the degree of a plant's surface exposed to freezing
temperatures has something to do with its ability to withstand cold
or not. I also cut and brought in some first-time rebloomers whose
buds aren't yet showing color. When (if) they bloom, the flowers
may not be fully representative of either the size or color had they
bloomed in the garden, The alternative, of course, is to let them
be frozen and lost altogether. Not a happy choice.

> The cold weather this year has been unusually early. My big oak
in the front yard doesn't usually fully drop its leaves until
January. Today, I noticed that it is almost bare. The entire
neighborhood looks wintry. Hopefully, rebloom of the SDBs will
continue in the warmup after the freezes, but I think it's curtains
for the many TB stalks that are up. -- Griff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News