Re: HYB autumn pods

  • Subject: Re: HYB autumn pods
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 05:15:25 -0800 (PST)

Wow Loïc! That's a lot of pods!

Just 3 days ago, I got impatient enough that I cracked open the only two pods I had (from this years rebloom). I didn't know that it wasn't advised to do crosses on rebloom. Both pods were started in early September and had to be picked about two weeks ago because of imminent dangerously cold weather. The bigger pod was completely empty - "balloon pod". But the smaller one had 6 seeds.

The cross is veiny rebloomer (RE3, from Iris cengialtii X CLOWN PANTS) pollinated by refrigerated pollen from a non-reblooming seedling (I've been calling "the clean amoena"). It was the only pollen I had available.

I'll attach pictures of the veiny rebloomer, clean amoena and the parentage of the clean amoena.

So these seeds have a fairly complex parentage - primarily of species types - with roughly half of their ancestry coming from pallida/cengialtii, a quarter from suaveolens clones and a quarter from variegata/modern MTB.

My hope will be to eventually get that nice clean white color and great fragrance of the clean amoena combined with the rebloom of that CLOWN PANTS seedling.

Best of luck to you with all of those pods!
Take care, Tom

HYB autumn pods