REB: Cricket Song

  • Subject: REB: Cricket Song
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 04:34:54 -0800 (PST)

Here are the most recent openings on 'Cricket Song'... the bloom on the far left is from a second fan (that is opening very near the ground), the other bloom is on the same stalk that I've recently been reporting (but this most recent flower only has 2 standards and 2 falls). There is also another stalk starting (downward pointing arrow) in a third fan, but it surely won't have time to open before harder frosts kill it.

I know it isn't much, but neither of its sisters is showing any signs of trying to rebloom this year. I think the extended dry period we've had here might be responsible for the lack of rebloom, so I'm happy that 'Cricket Song' had the determination to rebloom at least a little bit anyway.

Aside from showing (from the foliage condition) how dry it's been, this picture also gives some indication of just how small the clump still is. So to have a relatively normal Spring bloom (in May), then repeat with seven bloomstalks (in June and July)... and now to manage a few blooms open on two more stalks... I'm pretty happy with this little guy.