Re: HYB: seedling pigment?
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seedling pigment?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 06:41:43 -0500

After another day of soaking, plus heating the alcohol, the petal still
has some pigment, fading, more yellow looking now.

I was surprised too, but wonder if there was just so little anthocyanin
it didn't show in the soak water. It was one petal in about 2
tablespoons of alcohol, tho, so I would have thought <some> tint would
show. The solution now has a pale yellowish pinkish cast. ??? Alcohol
soluble pink ;-) I guess something that soaked out has changed its
optical properties after sitting around for 2 or 3 days.

The petals on the live bloom also become more yellowbrown after they've
been open awhile.

Anthocyanins are also soluble in hot water, so maybe I'll boil up a
petal in just plain water, see what that does. Maybe the alcohol just
isn't working as well on this particular flower for some reason. I
started using alcohol because I thought/think that soaks out everything
but lycopene, & that's usually what I want to see if it's there or not,
but maybe hot water would be better on this one. Never did quite get
straight what pigment extraction diffs there are between hot water and
alcohol. All those different yellows and pinks and xanthophylls and
copigments and who knows whats.

<I hope you find an answer. I wouldn't have thought you'd have the color
shown without some anthocyanin. That is the pigment that's soluble with
alcohol, isn't it? Maybe that bloom is just more yellow than it appears
to be in your photo, but when things get toast colored and start veering
into brown tones I've always thought that was due anthocyanin being
present. Maybe Chuck will see the post.>

Linda Mann