Re: TB: Rare Treat (Griff)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: Rare Treat (Griff)
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:03:12 -0500

Margie and Bonnie --  Noting Chris' experience with RT, I thought I should add my own.  There are some cultivars which, while beautiful, do well in some places and not in others.  (I live near the tidal Potomac south of Washington, DC.) The only way we find this out is by comparing notes.  A fault -- even a major fault -- doesn't necessarily outweigh a flower's other attributes, as far as I am concerned.  Witness VICTORIA FALLS.  Or, take BEST BET, for example.  It is notorious for dying out after 2 or 3 years, and I have heard respected irisarians say they would never use it in hybridizing for that reason.  However, it is a beautiful and distinctive flower, and I have used it to produce first and second-generation seedlings that are perfectly hardy (even though I have long since lost BEST BET, itself).  I wish I could have done the same with RARE TREAT, but 'twasn't to be.  --  Griff