  • Subject: [iris-photos] HYB:1812-1RE:More
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:44:16 -0400

Betty, I don't know just how one would charaterize this pattern on 1812-1RE.  It looks a lot like very dilute Umbrata I think. I'm not familiar with the pod parent, and you said the pollen parent was a plicata.
Some plicatas have very heavy haft coloring--I've wondered what that was in relation to other patterns in TB's.  It is possible that is the result when Umbrata and plicata get expressed at the same time.  I've never seen an iris with plicata standards and Umbrata falls, so the combination must do something other than make plicata/self bicolors.
I had a number of seedlings along the line of 1812-1RE from HAPPENSTANCE and POWER WOMAN that had a light wash of anthocyanin on the upper falls over rich golden yellow flowers--and one in pink with the same wash, only over pink it looks more violet than over the yellow.  Like in this seedling the wash extended down about half way on the falls.  I neither photographed or saved any of this type.  I've saved a few that haven't yet bloomed (poor soil to blame) so may get another chance.
I did keep a "Joyce Terry" type and a very wide light orchid non-t bearded self--it had a white beard with a touch of blue.  The other seedlings weren't very attractive colors and had very noisy hafts.  The combination was not the most happy one I've ever seen.
LOTUS LAND with the sister seedling to POWER WOMAN had all sorts of good things, with none of them showing this sort of Umbrata wash half way down the fall.  Several were bitones with full fall color, but none half the fall.  I have no idea why the difference.
Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links