Re: RE: OT: ID a Tree & rebloom news

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE: OT: ID a Tree & rebloom news
  • From: Bruce & Linda Silversity@comcast.net
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 22:18:09 -0500

Title: Re: [iris-photos] RE: OT: ID a Tree & rebloom news
Dear Dave
   Excuse me for interrupting, but all this info is just making my head swim.  I have great interest
in understanding the affects of the chromosome counts and hope to educate myself to help me to cross more effectively.  Can you suggest any reading material to help me with this?  Thanks much

Linda in TN
Lascassas that is::::::: :)

Just to be a bit of a rebel here.

'Lady Emma' resides with the old IB's in my beds, where it fits in quite nicely.

Regardless of registration, I consider 'Lady Emma' to be an IB, but my definition does not restrict itself to only measurements of stalk and flower, and I am more concerned with the plants than what the lists say.  I don't remember the chromosome count of 'Lady Emma', but I believe it is of the 44 (or close) type of ancestry and it's behavior (early flowering, reblooming) and morphology are not like the older diploid MTB's.  It flowers a full month to even six weeks before the diploid MTB's here.  The newer tetraploid MTB's (different ancestry) may have a similar calendar to 'Lady Emma' (but still not quite as early), but they are quite different too.

I know that 'Lady Emma' appears in most lists (including the AIS check list?) as an MTB, and so will continue to appear in sales lists and shows as an MTB.

I don't have my AIS checklists, the chromosome count, nor the parentage of 'Lady Emma' handy; so, these comments have the uncertainty of being from memory too.

Please correct me if any of this is wrong.