RE: TB: Louisa's Song

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] TB: Louisa's Song
  • From: "Harold Peters" harold@directcon.net
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:54:26 -0700

I was the guy who sent you the link to Mid-America Garden. Louisa's Song was introduced by Barry Blyth of Australia. Paul Black through Keith Keppel has great early access to Barry's introductions.
To answer your question about which ones to try is complex. A good way to begin would be to select from the AIS favorite 100.
I would guess that 90% of tall bearded irises grow well except in extreme climates. The best way to find out what grows well in your climate is to talk to local collectors and or local commercial gardens. Joining a local iris society is the easiest and quickest way to establish communications with these two groups. For a beginner, I would recommend avoiding irises introduced by Brad Kasperek, Joe Ghio, Fred Kerr and Barry Blyth. In my experience, some of the irises by these hybridizers are much more difficult to grow successfully. Later you can start adding irises by these worthwhile hybridizers. I would recommend irises by Ben Hager, Larry Lauer or George Sutton as being some of the easier to grow.
If you want an iris experience of  a lifetime, go to the 2006 AIS convention. It would be worth every penny.
Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762