Re: HYB: another blend...

  • Subject: Re: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: another blend...
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:24:01 -0400

The way I would interpret this, Linda, is
1) moderate yellow, not more than two doses of the four possible,
2) distribution of the yellow with the banded falls as a separate factor
from the yellow--perhaps.  There's room for a lot of genetic study on
how and why yellows end up selfs, banded like this one, amoenas, etc.
3) classic anthocyanin amoena--i.e., umbrata spot pattern in low dose
and 4) low dose of anthocyanin--two out of four possible, perhaps.

Would this yield yellow amoenas?  I doubt it.  There is apparently some
connection between carotenoid and anthocyanin amoenas, judging from some
Blyth pedigrees, but the correlation may be simply an accident of both
being included in the parental lines.  They can hardly be from the same
genetic sets as carotenoid and anthocyanidin pigments are presently
understood. Their synthesis occurs through entirely different pathways.
That means the genetic controls are completely different.  But who

Your reference to a "yellow inhibitor," which I have seen before, I
think, in you comments may be a reality *only* if there is a defect out
there in the genetic pool in the synthesis of phytoene, or the lycopene
from the phytoene (a four step process, but all one enzyme acting
repeatedly, it appears).  If either is true, and present, probably four
times, neither yellow nor pink would result, leaving the non-yellow
precursors present.  I don't know if this exists.  Dropping out of the
dominant Y (1, 2 or 3 forms) in a recessive condition of "yyyy" is a
more simple explanantion of non-yellow and more likely.

The question of Immortality X pink giving yellow is simple---Pink is the
result of the process stopping at lycopene.  If the enzyme involved in
conversion of lycopene to beta-carotene, or the two enzymes involved in
conversion to alpha-carotene, or both, are present, yellow results from
pink crossed with non-pink, unless the yellow drops out due to the
absence of the Y factor(s).

I'm glad to know that Immortality has at least TTtt makeup--or perhaps I
should ask if you do have or know of a sure and certain lycopene-pink
among its progeny?  This seedling is not, I think.  It may well be Tttt
from the tone of the yellow involved.

Chuck may well have a different opinion.  I'll be interested to see what
he writes.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 , Reg 4 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links