Re: ID?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] ID?
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:21:45 -0700 (PDT)

I would guess that this is Iris virginica. I.virginica
and I. versicolor are often hard to tell apart. Both
have enormous variation within the species ranging in
coloration from very dark purples to lavender pinks
and whites. Generally versicolor is a bit more refined
as a plant with somewht narrower leaves that tend to
be somewhat less stiff and bend. There is one easy way
to tell the difference. A cross section of a pod
yeilds three rows of seeds in virginica and six rows
in versicolor.

--- Virginia Prins <inanda1@mts.net> wrote:

> Does anyone have an idea about this iris?  The owner
> calls it  a versicolor but it doesn't look like
> mine?  Certainly loves water as it is flooded till
> June or later.
>
> Ginny

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: