Re: Hyb: seedling/Wearing Rubies

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Hyb: seedling/Wearing Rubies
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@lock-net.com
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:32:00 -0400

WR is also very weak here, but a tiny scrap survived and is recovering
in a pot of dirty perlite.  CORDOBA, new last year, and in a pot of
dirty perlite (where all new things now reside), is growing very well
here (well above average of potted same arrival date cultivars). I'm
learning that 'weak' cultivars that at least <survive> here for several
years <probably> have strong enough genes to produce stronger children.

Keep us posted on how the babies grow.

Wish there were some way to know ahead of time which of the 'weakling'
parents usually throw much stronger seedlings.  TREASURED and ROMANTIC
EVENING definitely do.  Griff, you know any other 'weak' parents that
throw stronger kids than you might expect?

<WEARING RUBIES have died here for me too. The year it DID bloom I
crossed it with CORDOBA;  those seedlings were just planted about 2
months ago.  Now I hope their growth habits WILL NOT resemble parent
WEARING RUBIES. Time will tell.  Had I known when I crossed with it that
WR would not be a good grower I would have never used it.

~ Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ. >

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links