{Disarmed} Re: Re: Hyb: seedling/Wearing Rubies

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Re: Hyb: seedling/Wearing Rubies
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" jgcrump@cox.net
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:36:02 -0400

Yes, Linda  --  Margie should take heart.  A couple of examples:  BEST BET and  ROMANTIC EVENING.

BEST BET is notoriously hard to keep alive.  I have lost it twice here, and the current planting is on its last legs.  But, I have numerous hale and hearty first-generation seedlings from it, and second-generation progeny includes HAUNTING  and RANKS OF BLUE.  If Lincoln's ranks of blue had increased with the vigor and strength of this cultivar, he wouldn't have needed to institute the draft.

I have also lost ROMANTIC EVENING here, and the current planting is just barely holding its own.  But, I also have many vigorous seedlings from ROMANTIC EVENING, including just-registered LEMON SQUEEZE.

Of course, there are those that inherited the bad traits.  Probably the most dramatic seedling that I have from ROMANTIC EVENING, a gorgeous red/black, is agonizingly slow to increase and doesn't bloom reliably.

So, it's well to remember how complex the genetics of our irises are,  and when considering whether to breed them, it's no sin to look at the bright side.  --  Griff