Re: Potting medium for seedling pots

  • Subject: Re: Potting medium for seedling pots
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 06:54:43 -0400

The potting mix I use is one I make myself.  I start with black soil from a gardening outlet. I pick a cheap one, that hasn't been premixed, that is mainly soil such as a soil additive that has proably been made from leaf compost. The type that is used outdoors typically. With this I mix about 1/4 fine peat moss and 1/4 perlite.

Sometimes I use soil straight from the garden. with this I add about 1/3 of cattle compost as my soil is sandy and then peat moss and perlite.

The soil is placed in the planting trays. I use the flats with 10  individual trays in them. The  trays are filled about 3/4 full and then soil is lightly tramped down. The end of a piece of 2x4 is great for this. Then I scatter seeds around, as evenly as possible. Add 1/2 " of soil and again lightly tramp down.

I have used pre mixes but have found that they are inconsistent and often will pack down too heavily. Peat moss and perlite provide for moisture retention and air space.

I don't place outside as rain can wash out seeds. If outside then top 1/2" proably should be course sand.

Chuck Chapman