Re: Subject: Cricket Song
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Subject: Cricket Song
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 04:26:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Betty,
Thanks! We had another exceptionally dry summer. Then when we finally started getting rains, I dug, divided and replanted the rest of 'Cricket Song' clump. So, it's not looking like I'll see any rebloom on it here this year. It's good to hear that it is reblooming anywhere. I sent three rhizomes out to be guest irises for the Ontario, California convention - I hope it's maybe also reblooming for them.
And Betty, don't forget that even though it's a diploid, it still might be a good breeder for you. I've gotten seeds pretty consistently [although admittedly not loads of them] from using diploid pollen on tetraploid pod parents. I've got one seedling increasing out in the front flowerbed from using 'Easy Smile' pollen (sister of 'Cricket Song') on Lowell Baumunk's tetraploid TB 'Introspection'. And also two seedlings from TB pod parents, using 'Astra Girl' pollen. I'm hoping I'll get to see maiden bloom in the Spring.
Thanks for trying 'Cricket Song' out and thanks also for that cheerful feedback.
Take care, Tom

No picture, but I wanted to report to Tom that Cricket Song has two
stalks showing lots of color. It should have enough time to open
before a hard freeze.

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KYautmirislvr@aol.com