Many caterpillars have poisonous hairs. If you brush
against them they will sting. Our worst ones here are the Grape Leaf
Skeletonizer caterpillars, tiny orange and black things that manage to sting me
every summer. Thankfully, they don't bother irises.
Francelle Edwards where the temperature is still
When I lived in the Phillipines one of the first
things we were warned about was the caterpillars. Any caterpillars just to be
on the safe side. Over there they are covered in an acid and touching them
would result in a burn. If you knew you touched one and washed your hands
quick enough you were fine but left alone it would develope like a burn from
oven cleaners. Here in the states I have not been stung by a caterpillar.
Perhaps the one you showed is different than the ones we have here that look
similar, the ones in the Phillipines are identical on cursory inspection. I
did not take a closer look than that while I was there.