Re: welcome to NAME THAT CULTIVAR !!!!

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] welcome to NAME THAT CULTIVAR !!!!
  • From: "Harold" harold@directcon.net
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:47:15 -0700

Uh oh, you have me on my soap box again. The only way to get a reasonable identification is to  make an educated guess about what cultivars it could be, buy the possibilities from a knowledgable source and then grow them side by side. The process can be fun but you have to ask is all this worthwhile for a $3 iris? The best suggestion is to use a garden name like Dan's Old Pink and just enjoy it. The other possibility is to get rid of it and replace it with one from an iris nursery that cares about name accuracy.

The answer to sorting by something else beside alphabetical is both yes and no. I could do so if I wanted to. I don't and if you want to know why look at a Cooley's catalog. The "no" part is that the viewer is stuck with what ever organization the webmaster chooses. The only organization I remember seeing is alphabetical. In my notebook that I use in the garden for walkin customers, I have a section where the irises are listed by my color/pattern classification system. If someone wants a warm plicata, they can use that list to look at the photos which are in alphabetical order. I also use the list for choosing substitutes on orders. This doesn't help the customers who choose irises by the name but for most it is reasonable.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 4:13 PM
Subject: [iris-photos] welcome to NAME THAT CULTIVAR !!!!

on Wednesday, laetitia munro sent images of her
"Prissy Miss" possible mislabels?

and yesterday, I looked at Harold's site,  www.beautiful-view-iris.com

I have a very prolific iris in my garden that doesn't seem to match any of
them.

This much I know: pink.    so that's how I refer to it.

can anyone help positive ID? what is the method used to make positive ID?
is it an extensive checklist, or lots of photos side-by-side, or what?

Harold - do you have a method of sorting your photos that is OTHER than
alphabetically by name?

like, solid yellows, solid blues, bi-colors, etc....?

or is there such a list? ...then I'd have to slog through a bunch of websites to track them all down, I suppose.

photo is a little "washed looking" due to wrong shutter speed (overexposed)

attached,
OR follow link, and go down to second image.

thanks, everyone.

Dan Asmus, Saint Paul, MN