Re: Move Iris In October

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Move Iris In October
  • From: "lmmunro" lmmunro@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:00:26 -0000

I moved some Helen Collingswood in December (North New Jersey,
pushing the limits of zone 6) and they grew OK. No blooms in the
spring, but they did not die. (absolutely gorgeous the second year).
It probably depends alot on the cultivar; is it a fussy rot-prone
wimpy thing? Then don't do it. An older, tougher, tried-and-true?
then maybe.  I think it is still 'chancey', and one should consider
what are the alternatives:
I would say its better than just keeping the rhizome out of the
ground all winter. Or, you could just pot it up, and keep it in an
unheated garage, and plant in the spring.

--- In iris-photos@y..., Janice Frizzell <jfrizzell@t...> wrote:
> I had an email question sent to me and before I answered it I
thought I
> would get some opinions from other iris growers. Would it be OK to
> irises in October in Ohio? Located between Dayton and Cinncinnati
so that's
> Zone 6 I think.
> My thoughts are yes it would be better to dig and replant than to
> in storage. I have never had to move irises i October so I was
wondering if
> anyone had and what success or failure they met with.
> Thanks,
> Janice
> In Tennessee

Sell a Home for Top $