Re: Move Iris In October

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Move Iris In October
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:04:06 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/2002 8:30:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
jfrizzell@tbr.state.tn.us writes:

<< Would it be OK to move
 irises in October in Ohio? >>

I live in KY and can't speak for Ohio; however, there are some general
principles that should work in almost any climate with winters.

First, I'm not sure what the situation is.  Are the iris bare rooted  . . .
have the irises already been dug and are being held in storage?  In this
case, they could be planted and then mulched to about 6 inches for the
winter.  This would protect from heaving and thawing.  The mulch would have
to be removed in the spring before any chance of rot.  Warm days and mulch
don't mix.

In this case, if conditions permit, potting them and placing in a cold garage
should work too.  I've had irises survive in pots on the west side of a
building.  They don't thaw much on the west side.  If left in storage, they
should be kept cool and they should be checked regularly for infestations.
I've had trouble with white flies before but that was summer storage.  Years
ago, I read that bare rooted rhizomes could be stored upside down in a
cellar.  This was so any moisture would drain off rather than collect at the
juncture of rhizome & fan.   Although I had a cellar at Alvaton, I never
tried this technique.

Second, Irises can be moved just about any time or place if enough soil is
taken with the rhizome.  I once moved a couple hundred irises three miles
down the road in March during a mild snow storm.  They bloomed beautifully in
their new garden.  They were moved in clumps, soil and all.  It left small
depressions in the old garden, but I'd put the move of irises into the real
estate contract!

Betty Wilkerson Zone 6 SouthCentral Kentucky

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM