  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: TB: STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN
  • From: laurief laurief@paulbunyan.net
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 03 12:16:52 -0600

>STAIRWAY and CELEBRATION SONG are the only Dykes winners that grow as
>they should here for an a prize winning plant.

I can't keep CS alive here.  Wish I could.  I do have other Dykes winners
that survive here, but none shrug off adversity and continue to perform
the way STH does. Most of the others refuse to bloom under my
less-than-ideal light conditions. This year, however, I converted one of
my sunny rebloomer beds to contain one of each of my surviving TBs so
they'll all have a fair shot at showing me what they can do with ample
sunlight.  I'm eager to see what will come of this little experiment.

>I personally think introductions
>should be tested in all regions before it can be given the old "two
>thumbs up"

I agree, particularly where eligibility for the Dykes is concerned.

>I forgot to mention RAMSESES, it's a great grower as well.  I bet
>it's still surviving your winters very nicely as well.

RAMESES is surviving my winters, but he's having a considerably more
difficult time surviving my compacted clay.  I should have dug and
amended the beds last year, but I just didn't get around to it.  By the
time I rescued the survivors and reworked the beds this summer, poor old
RAMESES was gasping for air.  He hung in there, though, and should spring
joyfully and abundantly back to life now that he's replanted in fertile,
loose soil.

>  BABBLING BROOK is also a out of control grower.

BB is another one that simply won't live here.  I'm trying him again this
year in the newly rejuvenated sunny bed.  If he dies off again, I'll
admit defeat.

USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern MN
acidic clay soil