[PHOTO] SDB: JEWEL BABY | Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:57:24" />

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] SDB: JEWEL BABY
  • From: laurief laurief@paulbunyan.net
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 03 07:57:04 -0600

I'm always surprised when an SDB or MDB doesn't do well for me - since
they typically thrive here in the cold country - but it does occasionally
happen. JB is a case in point.  I've been growing it since '01.  There's
been very little increase so far, and this was its first spring to bloom.

As you can see, the best it could come up with was a flower with three
distorted falls, one distorted standard, and some color breaking.  Not
exactly the gorgeous bloom I've seen in other people's pics!  BUT, it's
not dead yet, and this is only its second year in my garden.  I reamended
my beds this summer and planted it in a couple different areas to see if
I can make it any happier.  Time will tell.

JEWEL BABY (E. Hall, 1984) SDB, 12", VE-VL & RE (rebloom reported in ).
Dark purple (RHS 79A); mid-violet beard; slight spicy fragrance. Sapphire
Jewel X Baby Blessed. Hall's Flower Garden 1984

USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern MN
acidic clay soil