  • Subject: [iris-photos] VIRUSES
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:21:36 -0700

All right folks, enough about viruses.

The majority of the time the virus messages are not coming from the
individual listed in the "From" line. Most of all those headers are
forged. It is true that a virus often grabs the email address list from
the infected machine, and often use those addresses in the "From" as
well as the "To" lines, but there are spammers that just use lists that
they have captured by other means. The one that always irritates me is
the one that says:

Gloria Whosits <jijones@usjoneses.com>   that makes it look like it
came from ME to ME.  Grrrrr

The net of it all is that it does no good to email the sender, reply or
complain.  If you don't have a good, up-to-date virus checker, you are
going to have more problems than a few virus infected emails.

If you have questions or concerns email me privately, but please do not
post messages to the list alerting people to a virused message. If they
don't have a virus checker, it is too late because they already
received the infected message.