  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] VIRUSES
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <irisdude@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:06:57 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:06:57 -0700

I would like to see a subject tag VIR to be added for Virus Messages being posted to Iris-Talk/Iris-Photos. Obviously, these messages are important to some people.  With a subject tag, they can be filtered.
I feel the virus alerts on iris-talk have value in the fact that they alert us when things do show up, they gently remind us to update our virus definitions if we have been procrastinating, and they confirm that we are not the only ones who get them.
New viruses are created every day, and occasionally, I have been victim of a virus that was so new neither Norton or McAffee knew about it.  This happened just a while ago with a Bagel virus that really played havoc on my system.  I got the virus a couple of days before McAfee and Norton had a solution for it.
(This is one of the main reasons I detest chain letters, or anything that is FW:fw:fw:fw, etc.  Chain letters and the like are a hackers best method for distributing a newly created virus that your Antivirus software doesn't know about yet.)
It has been made quite clear in the past that everyone should have the most recent, current, and updated virus program possible, but the reality of the situation is that not everyone is as technically minded, nor does everyone wish to have their computer set to automatic for updates.
In addition to that, it has been reported recently, that some (granted, very rare instances) viruses, worms, and/or trojans have been getting through some antivirus programs, even when they are completely updated and aware of them. Hackers are getting more creative with their viruses every day.
Respectfully submitted as something to consider,
Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  Zone 9
John Jones wrote:
>If you have questions or concerns email me privately, but please do not post messages to the list alerting >people to a virused message. If they don't have a virus checker, it is too late because they already received >the infected message.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links