OT: Stinging Caterpillar

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] OT: Stinging Caterpillar
  • From: <willwarner@alltel.net>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:28:25 -0500

A while back I posted pics of a caterpillar that had stung me.  Well, I kept
it and another one that I found.  Fascinated by them, I wanted to see
their
life-cycle.  I thought one had died, cause I saw a shriveled tuft of white
at the bottom of the container.  I then noticed it was now grey,
and was kinda scrunched up, i thougt it was turning into a cacoon, it had
dropped its white spines.  The next day it was crawling around eating
and
I noticed stripes of orange and beige, so I snapped these pics.  I'd say it
can still sting, I'm sure not gonna touch it :).  I just checked them and
they are both now grey with the same stripes.  Thought I'd give you all
something else to watch out for while your deviding and cleaning up
your iris.
Will Warner
SW MO zone 6

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM