Re: RE: More about Jennifer Rebecca

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE: More about Jennifer Rebecca
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:31:46 -0400

Adam  --  I have grown JENNIFER REBECCA for several years and consider it a very beautiful flower.  However, it has been really frustrating to try to use it as a parent.  I have never found it fertile as a pollen parent.  The first year that I grew it, I got 3 pods from different pollen parents.  The pods produced very few seeds and the seeds produced little germination.  I ended up with 2 sprouts from JR x SUMMER OLYMPICS, 3 from JR x TRIPLE WHAMMY and 1 from JR x 988-1, a seedling of Clarence Mahan's.  All of these sprouts were heaved and killed in the ensuing winter (a garden-wide disaster  --  not JR's fault).  Despite scores of crosses attempted in subsequent years, I have never again been able to get a pod.  I think Don Spoon has gotten one or more pods on JR, but he, too, has found it difficult.  -   Griff
zone 7 in Virginia