Re: RE: More about Jennifer Rebecca

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE: More about Jennifer Rebecca
  • From: "Cordesview" <cordesview@m33access.com>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:52:08 -0400

Come to think of it Patrick, my JR was my first ever pink iris I grew!  I can honestly say I probably won't toss it either, since I'm also short on pinks.  hehehe
>>If I remember correctly, weather records have been kept here for 139 years.  Until this summer, we've never gone without hitting the 90 degree mark before.  In addition, our natural overhead watering system worked with remarkable regularity this summer.  I did one good soak of all the rebloomers about the 3rd week of August.
Hey, Mary, that would be a great reason for good bloom!  I wish I could say the same here. . . I always have high winds that come across our open farmland.  I can hear ya'll now. . . "plant more trees!".  :-)  You'd think in Michigan we'd have enough of 'em!
>>You might feel a little better looking at this photo, taken today, of the same stalk ( the first photo was taken 5 days ago). Yes, this is a single stalk.  Note I only have 5 rhyzomes and the one closest to the mortar in the little brick wall is the one blooming.  Make of that what you will.
 I can't believe that with all that (great) care, you JR still is shy about increasing.  Maybe your hybridizing will make something better out of it! :-)  Blessings to you!  I would be curious as to whether it sets pod.  Did you use JR as a pollen parent for anything?
Patrick was right, all in all, it was a lovely bloom, and thank-you for sharing it!  (and your secret, too!) :-)
Adam Cordes
Hillman, Michigan
Region 6
Zone 4 (and a half. . . )