Re: Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]
  • From: "Janet Stromborg" twinhill@earthlink.net
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 06:06:38 -0500

Dear Mr. Grinch,

The African violet community faces the same conundrum.  I'm a hybridizer of African violets (as well as being an iris addict) and saw a blue ribbon awarded to one of "my" hybrids last year.....one I'd never released or shared with anyone as it was still being evaluated for stability.  The ribbon winner had bought a NOID violet that looked similar to mine, assumed it *was* mine and entered it in the show, putting the name of my hybrid on it.

I think this problem of identifying NOIDS occurs in all facets of flower gardening, as I've seen the same problem crop up in the Hemerocallis (daylily) community as well.  Our basic need to name NOIDS can cause more problems than it solves and I think we'd be well served to give them numbers and love them for what they are rather than what they are called.

Janet in Denmark WI
zone 4