Re: Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 01:07:46 -0600
  • Seal-send-time: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 01:07:46 -0600

Just my two cents worth.  I really enjoy seeing the pictures of NOIDS, I am very interested in looking for old Iris cultivars, learning their names, trying to identify unnamed ones that I already grow, and even if the name never gets discovered, I enjoy the plants.  Often they are plants that are good growers and worth growing.
I would agree that one has to be very very careful about assuming that an identification is correct.  On the flip side, I disagree that it is "almost impossible" to identify an Iris cultivar from photographs.  I find that positive matches can often be made from photographs, especially with a little added information on other details of the plant.  Each cultivar is very distinctive (usually) in various details that are not duplicated in other cultivars.  Even black and white photos will often work.  Many cultivars are common, and easy to identify, once you know them.  As for color, one has to take the color of a color image with a grain of salt, that is to say use it as an indicator, not an absolute.  One has to realize that markings will vary some from flower to flower on the same cultivar, even on the same plant, but especially from one garden to another.  Even so, it can be done - often.
On the flip side, many wrong identifications are made if the wrong details are paid attention too, and it is very important when making an ID to say that you are uncertain if you are not absolutely positive.  I see misidentified photographs often, and that just adds to the problem.  A few common names that I see on the wrong plants or photos often include 'Amas' (often confused with a true I. x germanica - and 'Amas' is NOT a germanica), 'The Red Douglas' (often on one that is too red), 'Eleanor Roosevelt' ('Susa' seems the most common imposter), 'Gudrun' (one that is too clean and white is often called by this name), and 'Prospero' (often confused with 'Alcazar' - both ways - it seems), but those are just a few examples among many.