Re: Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 05:26:23 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with all Donald has said below. I may have misled everyone. Someone asked how a NOID website could be done. I pointed them in the direction of the Bulb site as an example. But I do not think a NOID website should be done. Our forum hear does a better job than could be done in such a extraneous site. Another story would be a website for gathering pictures of introductions. That could prove useful.

donald <donald@eastland.net> wrote:
> At the risk of being a spoil sport, I have to give one of my
> soundings about identifying irises from digital pictures.

In essence, I agree with everything you are saying. I don't trust
photos and I don't think a certain identification can be made most
of the time (maybe BEWILDERBEAST would be an exception). However,
while I don't think a positive identification can be made, I do
think an iris incorrectly named can be ascertained to be incorrect
from the photos. I doubt that no matter how bad the photo, VANITY
is going to mistaken with STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN. I bought from a club
sale and some that I bought under a name were that far off when they
bloomed. Without access to the R&Is, this forum is pretty good to
say what an iris isn't even when it can't say what it is for certain.

I don't understand why a NOID forum would be needed. I don't object
when they are posted here. Seems much the same thing. Often the
person posting gets some rational possibilities. I do think
suggested ids should be phrased as possibilities and not as a
positive id, but otherwise I think this group does a good job
eliminating the number that might be possibilities. If the grower
of a NOID keeps that in mind, then it becomes their choice whether
to pursue growing them side by side and trying to determine whether
what they have matches any given intro'd cultivar. I've only done
that once with a grandmother iris. Otherwise, I've found it easier
just to leave a NOID as such and wait until maybe I acquire a
possibility as a bonus or gimmee and see if they match. Or, rarely,
when I really wanted one simply buy from a reliable source and
forget about the NOID. Without the grandmother tie-in, I doubt I'd
have troubled with the process and even that one was an exception.
I had a name to work with from an aunt and an uncle. The rest of
the grannies still grow as NOIDs.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links