TB: Cult: Balding

  • Subject: [iris-photos] TB: Cult: Balding
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:09:10 -0700

This picture shows two balded rhizomes.  The one on the right still has one living root, but shows unmistakable signs of balding.  It will not multiply and will soon die.  I am posting it because I believe many of you have never seen this syndrome.  You are lucky.

I had a few laughs from the jokes about balding in irises, but the real thing is far from funny.  One can lose an entire clump of a favorite iris from it.  In fact I lost the most beautiful seedling I’ve ever had from balding.  I know that it is caused from some combination of culture, environment and genetics, but I certainly wish that I understood it better.  I’ve seen a lot less of it now than I did last year, even though this summer has been hotter than last.  I can’t understand it.  The above rhizomes are from Man About Town, badly affected in a row where most have very vigorous, healthy clumps.  Last year I had some balded rhizomes in nearly everything.

Is it, like Scorch, something that is a complete mystery to everyone?  So far we have no Scorch in Arizona.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9