Re: Red Fox

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Red Fox
  • From: Jan Lauritzen janicelauritzen@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:02:51 -0700 (PDT)

My worst enemies were the feral rabbits someone had raised and turned loose.  They ate every bloomstalk just before the buds would have opened.  They also ate the young leaves as they began to appear.  We live-trapped them and took them far away to live in the wild.  The wild brush rabbits (sylvilagus bachmani) seem to leave everything alone and we have great numbers all the time.

We also have skunks, opossums, raccoons, coyotes, ground squirrels and tree rats.  Everything pretty much leaves my irises alone.  Try a little "universal" animal food off at the other end of your property - everything will eat it instead.  And what is the universal food?
              CAT FOOD!
Every animal we have ever had around, including all the birds except the Turkey Vultures, seems to regard it as heaven-sent.  The main problem - MORE and MORE animals arrive as they seem to tell their relatives.  BUT -- they leave my garden alone.

Of course, we do not have any armadillos in Los Angeles.  What do they eat? the plants or the insects and worms around them?

Jan in Chatsworth

Bob  --  Among your list of usual suspects, might there be a black one with a white stripe down its back?  They sometimes come digging for certain favorite insects.  Meantime, here's a photo of one of my garden helpers.  --  Griff