Color change

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Color change
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:34:48 -0500

I haven't seen too much of this.  Usually any change is more subtle and has
to do with change in bloom time, substance, size and branching rather than
color.  It seems to me that here the main thing is the red wash on the falls
disappeared, otherwise I think light conditions give the effect of lighter
standards.  At least the top bloom was true maiden bloom.  Too often buds on
maiden bloom get frozen here so I might see more of this sort of thing if I
actually saw maiden bloom on a seedling.  By the time a seedling has been
around a couple of years and had things happen, the first blooms that
successfully bloom may not qualify as 'maiden'.  I can't help but wonder if
the growing conditions could be recreated, the appearance on the top bloom
might show up again.  The genetic codes for appearance should be the same.
I have trouble with the idea of that sort of change, but for sure I don't
understand what all does go on.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links