HYB: unshelled burritos

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: unshelled burritos
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@lock-net.com
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:30:24 -0400

Looks like this didn't make it to the archives last week, so will try
again.  Impatiently waiting to see at least a few sprouts....

I guess this shouldn't be called the burrito method anymore, since I
didn't wrap them up in a paper towel.

Pods were harvested just as they started to split, put in loosely closed
small plastic baggies, not presoaked, no water added, bags were folded
loosely, then packed into one bigger unsealed plastic bag and put in the
refrigerator for two months. Based on past experience, most will need at
least 3 months of chllling to get good germination, but I was impatient
to see how this experiment would work.  So I pulled out pods from mostly
pink crosses, since they seem to germinate with less chilling for me.

I was surprised at how nice the seeds look - these four show the
variations - some were moldy, some dark, some icky with bug poo, some
light, some shiny.  Seeds I've burrito'd have generally looked worse.

Other picture shows the 4 inch pots I use, potting mix pressed down,
seeds placed, covered with more potting mix then shredded leaves.
Potting mix for seed germination is a mix of sieved garden soil (I want
to be sure babies are immediately exposed to pathogens), commercial
potting mix, and miscellaneous stuff (sieved creek sand, perlite, scraps
of potting mix from storebought bedding plants, new sand box sand,
composted manure).  I use more than one pot if there are more than 40

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional