Re: Color change

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Color change
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:37:02 -0000

The cold will increase anthocyanin production over warm days. Exposure
to sun does decrease amount of anthocyanin, and thus fading of
intensity of anthocyanin. A black flower can become a dark purple
after a couple of sunny days.

The original anthocyanin in plants was in the foliage aka purple leaf
base. The funtion of this has been a source of reasearch and
speculation by biologists, as it is seen in many plants. The general
concensis at this point in time is that it protects the foliage from
sun damage and in confirmation of this is that alpine plants have it
more frequently then in lowland plants.

The pattern in this flower is the "Emma Cook" pattern, a multiple dose
(3 or 4) of the dominant amoena gene. Not related to any plicata
pattern or zonal patterns. You haven't told me the parentage of this
plant, but by necessity, both would need to be amoena, perhaps one or
both showing "Emma Cook" pattern. The give away is the white
standards, and the large size of the centre white area and also the
gradual fading from beard outwards with strongest coloured arrea at
rim of falls. Probably has anthocyanin on underside of falls as well
as in the upper epidermal layer.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, iris4u2@... wrote:

> So Chuck,  In Colorado where our spring night temp. are still on the
cold side we will have a tendency to have a build up of anthocyanin in
the flower.  But on the other hand where we have bright blue sky, 300+
days of sunshine a year we will have a tendency to have a reduced
amount of anthocyanin in the flower.  Does one condition take
precedence over the other?  So in the attached photo is the
anthocyanin localized and stronger in the darker area, less in the
lighter blue and nearly none existent in the white area.  And this
pattern could be called a ? Rainbow Luminata or ???

> Bob in Denver

> From: "irischap" <irischapman@...>
>
> Anthocyanin is very sensitive to temperature and light. The colder
> it is the more anthocyanin a flower produces. the more light there is,
> the less anthocyanin there is in flower. In rainy overcast conditions
> the anthocyanin is much enhanced.
>
> These effects are more noticable in flowers where the anthocyanin is a
> wash, as the extra anthocyanin in these cases can produce dramatic
> effects. When the flower has a lot of anthocyanin as in blues and
> purples, the changes in amount of anthocyanin does not produce a
> difference because the base amount is so large that a small
> difference is not noticable.
>
> So colder weather and lack of sun during last few days before bloom
> can produce a dramatic difference in amount of anthocyanin .
>
> Keth Keppel commented to me. that with a lot of SDBs he never
> understood why the anthocynin colurs descibed in descriptions never
> seemed to be as described when they bloomed n his garden in
> California. When he move to Oregon, suddenly all these SDBs now had
> the colurs as described, with the increased anthocyanin with cooler
> springs.
>
> For some good examples of variations of this type, look at the Space
> Age group, and look at the file photos of Thornbird, a flower with a
> light anthocyanin wash. Very dramatic differences in many of the
> photos, depending on climate wher grown, and amount of anthocyanin
> produced in that climatic condititon.
>
> Chuck Chapman

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: