Re: CULT: triple stalk

  • Subject: Re: CULT: triple stalk
  • From: Vicki <jvickic@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 13:04:01 -0700

Hi Francelle,
This is not necessarily pineappling. We see this characteristic several times a season and it seems to occur in more than one species and their offspring. Pineappling stalks are malformed and very bunched, never reach their normal height. They usually only grow a few inches in height. Somewhere in my personal archives I may have some pic's. I will look for them as time allows.
Vicki

Francelle wrote:

Griff, this is what we know as pineappling.  Clumped stalks come up from a rhizome.  They are short and deformed.  In severe cases, the leaves are short and spiky.  It is a fault of unknown causes, but I am convinced that it is associated with stress, too much heat, dryness, etc.  It must also be partly genetic, since it is very prevalent in some varieties and never seen in others.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9