HYB: refrigerator seedlings
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: HYB: refrigerator seedlings
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:36:30 -0500

As as become my habit the last several years, seeds got planted fresh in
pots and stored in baggies in the refrigerator. However I've been lax about
keeping an eye on them. A spot check here and there on those easy to get to
and look at. Well, yesterday I went through all the pots in the fridge and
here was this single pot with seedlings. Should been keeping a closer eye.
Found one other pot with a seedling in the wine cellar pots. They look
pretty frail. Already they look greener today than in the photo taken
yesterday, but I'm being careful to introduce them to sunlight gradually and
the wispy thing in the middle may never be able to cope since the root loop
grew so tall.

Still staying in the 90s here, but signs of fall are everywhere. A few
blooms showing on the solidago, muscari foliage showing up, the fall surge
of increased grasshopper activity. They'd probably think these fridge
seedlings were a delicacy akin to a truffle. So far they are primarily
staying inside in a window with just brief times in harsher sunlight and the
wind. I have the urge to go back and look through all those pots again in
case I might've overlooked something :). Not likely. I'm tired of them
taking up all the room so I'm impatient to get them out of the fridge.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image