Re: CULT: satisfying results
  • Subject: Re: CULT: satisfying results
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:06:28 -0400

Donald  --  It's nice to see others' seedlings from Carefree Days.  I've neglected it as a breeder while I have pursued other color lines.  Maybe I'll remedy that next year.  --  Griff

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:06 AM
Subject: [iris-photos] CULT: satisfying results

All the orangish looking blooms are on a one year seedling of a cross of
fall cleanup, the photo underneath is how it looks now. Heavy bloom on a
first year seedling doesn't always result in bloomout or near bloomout.
Though this one is a TB, there were AB seedlings that did as well. Those
aren't as imposing right now due to their dormant tendencies and smaller
foliage. I like to see this. If the weather doesn't interfere, plants like
this are set up to give even more bloom on the second year. Due to my
practice of not providing supplemental water after the first year, the time
between spring bloom and fall often is the 'make or break' point for
seedlings. Most survived, some quite well, but others didn't make it or are
just barely hanging in there.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA