Re: What is the name of this iris or.....
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: What is the name of this iris or.....
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:06:47 -0400 (EDT)

That doesn't mean name is correct.

Do you remember where you got you cultivar.?

Here is "The Black Douglas". It and Sable were the "Black" iris of that time. Both were what we would now call dark purple.  No ruffling and not nearly the shade of black of your cultivar. And much narrower petals.

If  your "Black Beauty" was around in 19389 it would have won dykes medal hands down.

I just checked the 1939 check list. "Black Beauty" was registered in 1928 by Kirk, who died in 1939. the on line list refers to the 1939 checklist, not the year of introduction.

Chuck Chapman