[PHOTO] regelia rhizomes | Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:45:49" />

[PHOTO] regelia rhizomes

It's a bit silly to be sending photos of rhizomes to this list, but I was
really impressed by these two aril rhizomes I got yesterday.

The top one is an aril hybrid...only 1/2" big!  I don't know if this is
normal for these two species, or maybe I got ripped off, I don't know,  but
it is certainly the smallest rhizome I've ever seen!  I'm anxious to see if
it will survive the winter & bloom next spring.

And I've seen hairy rhizomes on beardless irises before, but never on a
bearded one!  This is definitely an aril rhizome, but I have my doubts if
it's labelled correctly.  My book says Turkish Dancer is a form of Iris
stolonifera (a regelia iris), but this one doesn't look very stoloniferous
to me.

If there's any aril growers reading this I'm anxious to hear your opinions
on these matters. Thanks for indulging me, everyone!  :)

JPEG image

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com