[PHOTO] Dennis got what he ordered. | Sat, 18 Sep 1999 22:14:20" />

[PHOTO] Dennis got what he ordered.

The Harold Peters that is a member of this list and has posted a number of
pictures during bloom time and the Harold Peters that was the Aril Society
International (ASI) plant sale cochair and the Harold Peters that
contributed the seedling I. korolkowii x I darwasica that Dennis received
from the ASI plant sale turn out to be just one individual, me. Image
attached of what Dennis's small rhizome bloom will look like.

If you think that rhizomes is small, you should see a really small one in
the dormant stage. You did not get ripped off. Arils are a desert plant and
survival is the most important aspect. Small is a valuable survival trait to
many a desert living thing.  How many large things live in the desert? A
few, but not that many.

If you have a question about the accuracy of an aril identification by
looking at a rhizome, it probably makes more sense to ask a member of the
aril society than to ask that same question to the rather broad audience
that this group represents. I will forward the question to Scott Jordan, the
President of the ASI. There are a number of different groups in the aril
classification. The appearance of the rhizome is one of the attributes that
varies between those different groups. The variety makes for an interesting
world.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden,
El Dorado Hills, CA      USDA zone 9