HYB: Hybridizing for PBF

  • Subject: HYB: Hybridizing for PBF
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 05:14:21 -0700 (PDT)

Like at least a few other hybridizers, I've been
working on extending the PBF
(purple-based-foliage)expression of irises. So far,
only having gone two generations, this is the best PBF
seedling that I've grown. Unfortunately it's got
terribly malformed flowers -- trust me it's not

The second picture is of a sister seedling with much
nicer flowers, but not quite as much PBF.

These seedlings are diploid beardeds (24 chromosome).
If you look close, you might be able to see the
red-margins on the leaves, coming from 1/4 ancestry of
Iris suaveolens var.rubromarginata.

I'm also working with tetraploids, but haven't gotten
as far with them yet.